This has been a wonderful year for operating systems. Instead of adding garbage featured, more bloat, et… we’re seeing considerable effort put into improving performance. Snow Leopard is a marked improvement, so much so that I am finally getting around to putting it on my work machine. And, everyone already knows about the improvements to Windows 7. What I didn’t expect were the improvements to Ubuntu.
Granted, it it still hideous, and it is still linux, but damn, its fast. Traditionally my experience has been that Ubuntu has performed at around 70-80% of the speed of Windows XP. So, I was surprised how zippy and responsive 9.10 is. I dare say it is actually faster than XP now.
Good work “guys,” keep it up.
So, I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 64bit on my pc. And, when I went to install Adobe Air so that I could test DarkRoomX it didn’t work. Or, rather the installer completed but it didn’t actually work. So, I had to dig up some instructions for getting it to work (you need to manually install some 32bit libs). Here’s the link if anyone else is trying to do the same thing:
Ever since Ubuntu 9.04 came out I have been trying to figure out how to do an install inside Windows. For this task I typically just use wubi, which has always worked wondefully in the past. Unfortunately, this time it did not go so smoothly.
Apparently, for 9.04 they decided to do a rewrite of wubi from the ground up. Normally these refactoring excercises result in a better program. Unfortunately there appears to be a rather nasty bug in this version. Whenever I tried to run the installed I would get “Windows – No Disk” error, with a really nasty message in the dialog. I tried everything short of reformating the machine to get it to work. But, today I finally found the answer.
It appears that the new wubi installer gets confused if you have a bunch of drives. Many people who had more than one cd-rom drive had to burn two copies and have the disk in both drives for it to work. In my case, it was the built in card reader that was the problem. After stopping it, and ejecting the drives I was finally able to get the installer going. Hurray.